Welcome to my last blog post of 2019! What a year it’s been. I can’t believe I’ve been writing on this blog for almost 12 months now, so much has changed over the past year. So I suppose now is the perfect time to reflect on everything I set out to do this year, the things I did and didn’t achieve, and what my goals are for 2020.
Those of you whom have been reading my blog since the start might remember my very first blog post, ‘Making Changes’, in which I set out a list of things I wanted to achieve in 2019. Firstly I wanted to look back over this list and see which goals I actually did achieve:
– Write more: I definitely did this! I’ve kept up with writing blog posts consistently, finished a writing project I started years ago, and made plans for pieces I want to write next year!
– Pass my driving test: I didn’t get a chance to attempt passing my test or even take lessons unfortunately. Moving house, moving jobs and generally settling into adult life kind of got in the way. However next year will hopefully give me more time to sort out booking lessons, and I think I feel more ready to give driving another go now, whereas I don’t think I was this time last year.
– Get a cat:
Yep, think I can tick that one off! I’m so so happy I managed to get a cat this year. I can’t imagine life without my little Henry now – I literally see him as my son haha!
– Eat less meat: This year I wanted to be more environmentally conscious due to global warming and all that depressing stuff. Apart from going vegetarian for the whole of February, I don’t think I ate significantly less meat this year. But that’s okay, I can keep on trying in 2020. I have been making effort in other eco friendly areas, for example I take my own reusable water bottle out with me rather than buying water, and I always take my bags for life out shopping with me. So I’m trying, and every little bit helps, right?
– Work on my mental health: In all honesty my mental health hasn’t been the greatest this year. It’s not that I haven’t tried to work on it, I have, but the things I’ve tried so far haven’t been right for me. I’ll definitely be working on ways to feel better next year, including hopefully some counselling. I may even write a blog post about it if I’m feeling brave enough.
– Do more exercise: There was certainly an attempt! My girlfriend and I started going swimming together and then just kind of stopped…. I blame the cold weather! But I’d definitely like to start going swimming again regularly next year.
So those were my goals for 2019, but what do I want to achieve in 2020? Well, I’ll tell you:
– To start writing my first book: It’s always been my dream to publish a book ever since I was little, and I am more determined than ever to make that dream into a reality. Just the thought of seeing my name on the shelves in Waterstones make me feel slightly giddy! I’ve been planning for this book a lot this year, and I have a pretty solid storyline and characters in mind, so I can’t wait to start writing it!
– Travel more: I had barely any time or money to travel this year, so next year I want to fill my weekends with little trips away and go abroad at least once. I’m looking forward to new adventures that I can write about on here.
– Start driving lessons: Yes, this is going on my list again. I want the freedom and opportunities having a licence will bring.
– Start saying yes more: It can be so easy to say no sometimes, there’s always some excuse about being too tired or too busy. I want to say yes to going out and seeing friends, going to new places. I’m done with the same mundane routine of going to work and staying home at the weekend. I need to get out of my comfort zone more, which will hopefully build my confidence up.
– Be kinder to my skin: I’ve spoken a little about my insecurities involving my skin in my post ‘Dealing With My Biggest Insecurity’, and so I want to treat my skin better in order to not wince so much when I look in the mirror. I want to drink more water, moisturise, stop picking at my face when I get a new pimple, maybe even get on a waiting list to see a dermatologist if I’m still feeling really miserable about my skin.
– Work on being happier: I’m hoping to achieve this by doing all of the above, working on my mental health and fully committing to this blog. I’ve got lots of ideas for future blog posts that I’m really excited about, so keep an eye out for them!
Looking back, 2019 has been such a crazy year, with some great highs and bad lows. I started the year in an extremely toxic job that I absolutely hated, but thankfully I found the courage to quit. Then I moved into a really nice house and got the cutest cat in the world to go with it so at least I can say I’ve ended the year on a positive note.
It’s been a year of figuring out where I belong in the world, making a base so I always have somewhere nice to come home to after a long day. I feel well equipped to go into next year, to make some dreams come true and subsequently be a happier, more positive person. Maybe I should be more sceptical, a new year doesn’t magically reset everything and mean I’m going to be any more motivated to achieve the things I want to achieve, but I like the idea of a fresh start, the chance to try all over again. And I will certainly try my best, I owe myself that at least.
On a final note, I want to thank every single one of you who has followed me and my posts this year. The support I’ve had for this blog has been incredible, and I’m even more excited for the content I’m putting out next year. Stay tuned, because Feelings of a Fake Adult might be going through some big changes very soon….
Happy new year everyone!